Advance directives include:
- Living wills and health care surrogate designation
- Durable power of attorney, which may or may not allow a person to make health care decisions
Before a patient’s living will is enacted, one of the following conditions must be met and documented by two physicians:
- The patient has a terminal condition, with poor prognosis and without hope for a meaningful recovery.
- The patient is in a persistent vegetative state.
- The patient has an end-stage disease.
- Do not resuscitate (DNR) verbal/telephone orders must be validated by two nurses (one must be an RN) signed, dated and timed within 24 hours.